April 2019 Newsletter
|MESSAGE FROM PRESIDENT LYNN LeMASTER:|
I am announcing the nominations again for your club board. So far, nominations for board positions are:
We will take nominations from the floor for any position Friday night during the Annual Meeting. Please have that person’s consent to nominate them. Voting will take place during the March 22ndDance. If you cannot attend and want to vote, you can submit your vote via email by midnight, Thursday 3/21/19. Send your vote to Lynn at email@example.com
Remember, we are having a potluck before the annual meeting this Friday. We will eat at 6:30 pm. The meeting will follow the dinner. Items to discuss:
The membership renewal form is on the last page of this newsletter. Form and payment are due by May 1, 2019. You can also renew and pay your dues on line under our website at https://bucksanddoessingles.
Our upcoming April 26th Dance theme is Bulbs and Bunnies; we dance to Tom Strickland and Chuck Berry.
Tonight, March 22nd, is our Signs of Spring Dance. We dance to Dan Austen and Linda Warren. We will find Spring!!
And with that, it’s time to say…… get out and DANCE!!
|Wish these dancers a Happy Birthday when you see them in a square!|
|April 10||Blanche Geisman||April 17||Sam Merullo|
|April 13||Dave Van Dyk|
|Tuesday, April 2||New Dancer Workshop, Maize Manor United Methodist Church, 3901 Maize Road, Columbus, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. Caller/Instructor, Ed Laudenschlager.|
|Monday, April 8||BADS Board Meeting at Donato’s, 377 Granville St, Gahanna, 7:00 p.m. (6:30 to eat and review minutes)|
|Tuesday, April 9||New Dancer Workshop, Maize Manor United Methodist Church, 3901 Maize Road, Columbus, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. Caller/Instructor, Ed Laudenschlager.|
|Sunday, April 14||Hashing It Up Workshop, 2:00 – 4:30 p.m., Clinton Heights Lutheran Church, 15 Clinton Heights Avenue, 1 block south of North Broadway and High Streets, Columbus. Any or all of Ramona Willis, Larry Lim, Jim Corder, Dave Van Dyk, & Velma Doyle calling mostly Mainstream. Free! Come support our newest callers and get some extra dance time.|
|Tuesday, April 16||New Dancer Workshop, Maize Manor United Methodist Church, 3901 Maize Road, Columbus, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. Caller/Instructor, Ed Laudenschlager.|
|Tuesday, April 23|
|Friday, April 26||BADS Bulbs and Bunnies Dance, 8:00 – 10:30 p.m. (Early Rounds at 7:30 p.m.) Gahanna Community Congregational Church, 470 Havens Corners Road, Gahanna. Caller: Tom Strickland, Cuer: Chuck Berry.|
|Tuesday, April 30||New Dancer RECOGNITION CEREMONY! Come celebrate the accomplishments of the newest Bucks and Does! Maize Manor United Methodist Church, 3901 Maize Road, Columbus, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m. Caller/Instructor, Ed Laudenschlager.|
|We will have a Recognition Ceremony for our New Dancers on Tuesday, April 30 at the Maize Manor United Methodist Church; time will be 7:00 pm. Please come to support their official move into the Square Dance Circle of Friendship!|
BANNER STEALS AND RETRIEVES
|March 31, 2019||Orbiting Squares – Spring Special – Gahanna Church, 470 Havens Corner Rd. Caller – Mark Patterson; Cuer – Phyllis Burdette. No early rounds. 2-5 PM|
|April 28, 2019||Maple Leaf – Pilgrim Lutheran Church, 309 W Broadway, Granville. Caller – Tom Poe. 5 – 7 PM|
|May 19, 2019||Friendly Ties – Fiesta Dance – Pickerington Senior Center, 150 Hereford Dr. Caller – Jason Raleigh & Pam Courts; Cuer – Chuck Berry. Squares 4 – 8:30 PM|
|Remember that by participating in banner activities you are ultimately helping your club as well as the club you are raiding. Also, for every 5 raids that you participate in, you will receive a dangle|
59TH OHIO DANCE CONVENTION MAY 3 – 5, 2019
|Don’t miss the fun! Sign up now for the 59th Ohio Dance Convention which is May 3-5, 2019 at the Bertram Inn & Conference Center, 600 North Aurora Rd, Aurora, OH 44202. The theme is “Dance to the Moon and Back”. There will be many callers, cuers and dance leaders and all levels of dancing, plus opportunities for shopping. On Thursday evening, there is a choice of two different Trail In dances at the Bertram that have separate sponsors. The Trail In Round Dance features Richard & Ella Reinhard, Chuck & Shirley Berry, Sandy & Frank Hartzell and Amy Riehl from 7:30 to 10:30 PM. The Square & Round Dance Trail In Dance has callers Ken Burke, Tom Davis, Tom Strickland and John Ramsey and cuer Phyllis & Doug Burdette from 7:00 to 10:30 PM. (The admission for each Trail In dance is $8.00. If you want to go back and forth between the two, it will cost you $16.00 per person.) A Solo Meet and Greet is scheduled from 3 to 5 PM on Friday. On Friday a Round Dance Clinic is scheduled featuring Frank and Sandy Hartzel, with BOLERO III / IV taught from 9:30 to 11:30 AM and WALTZ III / IV taught from 1:30 to 4:30 PM. For more information, pick up a flyer from our flyer table or go to www.59odc.com.|
|Our membership still holds at 36 members. The Supplemental Roster was sent out via email a few weeks ago.|
We had a very nice time on February 22nd with our Cherry Cook-off and Dance. There were 13 entries into the contest and everyone enjoyed all of them! The most votes went to the Purple Salad, made by Marcia Taylor and second place was a tie: chocolate cherry cake and cherry pecan gems. We only had two prizes, and we got lucky… both items were brought by the same person: Diana Kovityn!! We had 33 guests and 17 members come to eat and dance to Gary Kincade and Chuck Berry. This dance was sponsored by COCDC and was free to everyone. Nine New Dancers were there for all the fun. There were 5-6 squares on the floor all evening. Fun dancing everyone!
|The Central Ohio Corporation of Dance Clubs (Council) held its regular meeting on Monday, March 4, 2019 at 7:30 p.m. Some of the main points discussed were:|
· President Pat Jones thanked the other Board members for all their help over the past year.
· The proposed budget for 2019-20 was discussed; it will be voted on at the May meeting.
· There will be a special meeting of Council on March 21 to discuss the Honoree process.
· The Marketing and Recruitment Committee will meet before the special meeting.
· The State Convention this year will have a panel for new cuers & one on promotion of square dancing. The price for the Convention is $35.
· Next year’s Convention will be sponsored by the Cincinnati council but will be held in Columbus. The following Convention will be sponsored by the Miami Valley council; they are looking for a site.
· Terri Ross reported that COCDC has been asked to provide a $50 raffle basket for this year’s Convention. She volunteered to make it; her offer was accepted.
· The next date when COCDC could sponsor a State Convention would be 2023. Council reps. will be e-mailed about starting to prepare.
· Nominating Committee: Nancy Swanberg & Joi Melvin solicited nominations for President and Secretary. Pat Jones and Terri Ross were willing to serve again. No new nominations were made; Pat and Terri were elected to serve two more years by acclamation.
· Old Business:
· Council sent a thank-you card and gift card to Rob Stampfli to thank him for his years of work supporting the Council website; he replied with an e-mail of thanks which was forwarded to Council members.
· The Pre-Snowball Potluck & Workshop was a success with 44 dancers, including nine new dancers; there were 4 squares. Council made $259 on the recycle sale.
· The new class schedule proposal committee will meet, tentatively on April 1st. Lynn LeMaster will chair this committee and call it “Lessons: out of the box.”
· New Business:
· The Pittsburgh Area Callers’ and Cuers’ Association wants to introduce itself to Central Ohio. To that end, there will be a “Resurrection Dance” on Sunday, April 14 (Palm Sunday) in Granville with PACCA callers and cuers; several local callers have joined. There will be alternating Mainstream & Plus tips, with rounds; the fee will be $8 at the door.
· There are no new callers or cuers in the area right now, so there will be no caller or cuer scholarship this year.
· Council decided to continue to produce the printed schedule for next season. Schedules are due to Velma Doyle by June 1.
· Council will vote on dues at the May meeting. Reps were asked if they should remain at $30.
· More women’s clothing is needed for Council’s recycle sales. The next sale is June 8 at Grove City’s Relay for Life dance.
The meeting was adjourned at 9:07 p.m. The next meeting of Council will be May 6th.
SINGLE SQUARE DANCERS USA NEWS
We hope you will plan to join us in Alabama and that you will invite all of your dance friends to join you there. We need your help to get the word out about all the fun we have. Just look at what we have to offer! We have a great line up of callers and cuers. There will be four different halls and none of the dancing will be on carpet. There will be square dancing programmed for you whether you dance Mainstream, Plus, DBD, A1 or A2. There will be rounds from levels II through V or VI. Also, there will be line dancing. All of the halls are on the same level, and if you stay at the host hotel, you will be close to the action.
Our registration forms are available on our flyer table. Also you can go to dar2019.ssdusa.org to obtain a form. All square and round dancers are welcome! Be sure to mark your calendars now for the 49th Dance-A-Rama on Labor Day weekend! See you in Alabama!
HELP NEEDED AT RECYCLE SALE ON APRIL 5TH
|Bucks and Does Singles has the opportunity to work together with Orbiting Squares at their Hi-Lo Dance & Recycle Sale on April 5th. The clothing being sold is jointly owned by the two clubs, and proceeds from the sale will be divided between the clubs. The sale itself will be from 7:30 to 9:30 PM. Help is needed with set up starting at 6:15 PM. We also will need help with tear down.|
Spring has sprung!! Not sure about you but I don’t believe it. There have been too many snow storms in late March & April. I took my first mud face plant of the year. With all the mud & rain, I’m sure there will be more.
I want to remind y’all of our March 22 potluck/meeting. An email was sent out on the 19th asking for your attendance & food contribution for this important meeting. We will set up at 6, eat at 6:30 & dance at 7:30. If you have any questions, please contact a board member.
Enjoy the sun & I’ll see you on the 22.
BUCKS & DOES SINGLES MEMBERSHIP RENEWAL FORM
P. O. BOX 531, WESTERVILLE, OH 43086
Please print all information as requested. Please do not leave any blanks. Give form & dues to the Treasurer or mail it to the above address. Please date and sign your name in the space provided following the declaration statement.
PHONE: (_____)______________ /(_____)______________
(Phone will be listed in the roster as shown. Only note the numbers you want in the roster.)
(Please place an “X” here ____ if you do NOT want your e-mail address listed in the Club Roster.)
You may be photographed for print, videotaped, or electronically imaged. Images may be used in promotional materials, news releases, and other published formats for Bucks and Does Singles. The images will be the sole property of Bucks and Does Singles.
MARITAL STATUS: ____ Single (Never married, _____ Separated _____ Married
I declare that the marital status I have checked above is accurate.